So I did my first tempo run of my 10K schedule yesterday. Not sure how I felt about it. Ran 4 miles, but I don’t know if I did it right. Thursday is a HIIT run. A High Intensity Interval Training run. I am doing these to help with my speed for the 10K. My goal is to get under 55 minutes. Which is almost 10 minutes faster than my time last year, so ambitious but totally doable.
Hey ya’ll. Are you in need of a hearty dish that’s low-calorie? Oh, I got you covered. This dish comes together fast with a little prep work.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake from tastykitchen.com
Serves: 6 heaping servings Calories: 330
- 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 c. Cooked Brown Rice (I used Zantarain’s Spanish Rice)
- ¾ c. Frozen Corn
- 1 15 oz. Can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 c. Plain Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
- 4 ounces, fluid Can Green Chilis (I used jalapenos)
- ½ c. Salsa
- 1 c. Low-fat Cheddar Cheese, Plus More For Topping (I used Fat-Free Cheddar)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro For Garnish (optional)
I started this meal at lunch. I cooked the rice and chicken to save myself time after work. I would also recommend sticking with green chilis. Ours is spicy SPICY!! I also topped mine with a little salsa rather than more cheese.
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except cilantro) and mix thoroughly. Make sure the yogurt and cheese are stirred in throughout the entire bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese if you would like. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until heated through. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
I really enjoyed it. The Zantarain’s calls for a can of tomatoes so I think that adds to this dish. Also the crunchy corn and protein dense black beans make this a filling dish. Again, take my word, green chilies over jalapenos.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Honey, Pear & Blue Cheese Pizza (from sweetlifeericka.com)
Summertime Succotash Salad (from slimpickinskitchen.com)
- Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread (from sweettoothsweetlife.com)
Don’t miss another post! Follow my blog by entering your e-mail address at the bottom of the homepage. Yes, it’s that easy! Questions? Contact me, Brianna Strahm.