I love Oats, but you already knew that. So when I first learned about Steel Cut Oats (or Irish Oats) a few months ago I had to try them out.
For work on Friday I had to bring a crock pot full of cooked oats. I thought I would bring Steel Cut and introduce something new to my coworkers. It went over well! My crock pot was all gone before the other one. I think that spells success.
I didn’t get to eat very much at work because I wanted to leave it all for everyone else, so last night I decided to make some so I could have it for breakfast today. It takes about 30 minutes to make, which is too long to wait for breakfast in the morning.
Make-ahead Steel Cut Oats, adapted from ohsheglows.com.
Serves: 4 (heaping 1 cup) Calories: 260 per bowl
Yield: 4 servings or 3.5-4 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 large bananas, mashed (1 cup mashed)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- dash allspice
2. Stir in the mashed banana (mashing it helps disperse the sweetness throughout), ground flax, and chia seeds. Simmer on low, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 mins or so.
3. When the oats are creamy and tender, remove from heat and stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and pure vanilla extract. Serve immediately or allow to cool before transferring into air tight containers in the fridge. In the morning, add a splash of milk and reheat in the micro or on the stove-top.
You can see in my bowl: chopped walnuts, fresh blueberries, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and a few chocolate chips. I just couldn’t decide what to add I was too excited.
Yum these were good! I am so glad I have 3 more bowls in the fridge.
Don’t miss another post! Follow my blog by entering your e-mail address at the bottom of the homepage. Yes, it’s that easy! Questions? Contact me, Brianna Strahm.